Monday, June 06, 2005

The best steak I've ever cooked

I will now sing the praises of my own cooking skills.

Monday nights are usually "fend for yourself" night in our house. Liz has to get up extra early on Tuesday mornings, so rather than wait for me to get home to make dinner, she usually eats by herself. As a result, I'm free to make anything I want on Mondays. Usually I make some sort of messy omelet or egg sandwiches, but I wanted something different tonight. James has been telling me for the longest time how delicious a steak seared in a cast iron skillet can be. So I decided to give it a try. I picked up a sirloin steak and a small potato at the grocery store and found this recipe online so I'd know the temperatures and timings. I followed the recipe exactly and I have to say I've never cooked a better steak in my life. It wasn't the best steak I've ever eaten -- I'll reserve that accolade for the porterhouse at Morton's of Chicago -- but it was by far the best one I've ever cooked. Liz tasted it and agreed with me that it was an excellent steak. I can't wait to make it again with better meat, from FreshDirect. And I cooked it a little longer than I like. It was medium well instead of a plain medium. But now that I've done it once, it will be easy to get it right the next time.

I overcooked the baked potato, but that's OK, as it was hardly the focus of the meal. But damn! that was one hell of a steak.

No comments: